Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mung Daal Kheer / Green Gram Pudding



January 2nd is a special day - after all, it is my dad's birthday!! He loved to celebrate birthdays, and there was always this sparkle in his eyes on those special occasions. As I write this and imagine his smile it almost feels unreal that he is not with us. It has been six years since he passed, but it still feels like yesterday. For a girl, no matter how old she is, there is no man better than her daddy - and this post is dedicated to my favorite man. This is his all time favorite dessert!!

I remember that this was the go-to dessert at home. My sister and I could not see why our dad loved it so much! Can you believe that this is the first time I have made this - and before I set up the dish for a photo shoot, I tasted it, and strangely enough, I loved it!! It not only brought back many memories, but I loved the texture and taste. Maybe - hopefully - I've made it better than mom... She reads my blog - I'm wondering what she'll say to that!! I'll keep you posted.



The Mung Daal (Green Gram) that I have used is split and without skin - pictures below.


1/2 cup jung/green gram (split and without skin)
1/4 cup water
1 cup milk
6-8 tbsp dark brown sugar (or to taste)
1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
1 tbsp soaked rice ( soaked for an hour)
few saffron strands
blanched almonds
pistachio
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1tbsp ghee/clarified butter

I know I have been asked to post the recipe of clarified butter for a while ! Sorry, am going to do it real soon!


In a skillet roast the mung/green gram on low flame with the clarified butter/ ghee. It will turn a mild brown. remove from flame transfer into a vessel and keep aside. Add the water to the mung and pressure cook it for 15 min or cook it on a low flame till the mung/green gram is almost cooked. In a blender grind the rice, coconut, half of the cooked mung/green gram into a fine paste. Add the paste to the remaining mung/green gram, add the milk, cardamom powder, saffron and cook on a low flame till the mung/green gram is mushy. Garnish with chopped nuts, roasted in ghee/clarified butter.



Print Friendly and PDF

18 comments:

  1. Moong Dal kheer looks delicious my favorite, Simi, can you link this to Favorite recipes event: Lentil/Legume/Beans


    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful click.. n presentation.. looks so yumm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious Kheer. So marvelous of you to dedicate this post to your Dad. In today's materialistic and selfish world very people have time even for their living parents let alone for those who have passed away.
    Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad's are superhero's no matter what age:) a lovely post and a delicious dessert which is very new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant take my eyes from your clicks, one of my weakness is this kheer, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moong dhal Kheer looks delicious! nice click....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious kheer, very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful click.. n presentation.. looks so yummy n tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow yummy dessert with beautiful clicks..Thanks for ur supportive comment on FB regarding my camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a loving gesture!
    The kheer looks divine and I for one love this variety.
    An acquaintance, once when I visited her briefly, gave me some, it was a small helping and I LOVED it, but since i did not know her well, I did not ask for another helping ;)
    I did ask for the recipe but she forgot I guess, now, i need not wait for her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post, Simi, both in substance and style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful pudding!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy b'day to your dad!
    and the best part about mung daal kheer is the heavenly siesta that is sure to follow :)

    cheers!
    deepa
    http://aalayaminspiration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the moong dal kheer (or payasa as I call it). Agree what you say about Dads & daughters, there is nothing like that bond. Happy New year to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. After reading your post i missed my dad n called him too. Nice twist in traditional kheer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Simi,

    Wow...Your blog is wonderful... Your photography is amazing.....

    Helen
    http://myworldmyhome2012.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first time when I read this recipe I was a bit sceptic but it sounded too interesting to forget. This was my fortune, because it's easy and delicious! Thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to browse. I appreciate all your comments, feedback and input. Hope you enjoy your stay :))

hugs!
simi

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS